What are Blackheads?
Blackheads are a symptom of Acne, a skin condition where the pores of the skin become clogged and infected often leading to scarring. For further information, about Acne and Acne Scarring treatments see the drop-down menu under skin problems.
What causes Blackheads?
Blackheads are caused when the tiny holes in your skin become blocked by excessive oil (Sebum), along with dead skin cells, bacteria and dirt. In addition, the overuse of products such as chemical based moisturisers, aftershaves, perfumes and makeup, also aggravate the condition further.
While Sebum oil helps to protect your skin by keeping it soft and hydrated. Sebum when overproduced, can block your pores, leading to the formation of blackheads.
The most common cause of excess sebum production is due to increased hormone levels. In the young, this is due to puberty, hence this affects most teenagers at some point. Whilst in older adults, the cause can often be as a result of stress and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, both of which cause the overproduction of hormones that increase sebum levels.
Finally, in both young and older people, general hygiene can be a big issue. Consequently, not washing regularly and touching your face and body with dirty hands can be a large contributory factor for the cause of blackheads.
What can you do to reduce and manage blackheads?
- Clean your skin regularly.
- Avoid oily products.
- Use an exfoliating product.
- Have a regular skin health facial.
Restore that bright skin tone with Reflects range of blackhead treatments:
- Clinically Proven Results.
- Affordable Payment Plans.
- HydraFacial – This a is non-invasive, non-surgical procedure that delivers instant results with no discomfort or downtime. The procedure imediately removes the impurities from your clogged pores and helps to restore skin health.
- Skin Peels- These can help to restore your skin’s natural look so you appear younger, brighter and healthier again. Finally, Intelligent chemical peels help remove clogs and debris that cause blackheads.
- Aspect Dr Facial – This will also improve the texture of the skin, increase circulation, encourage rejuvenation and cellular activity.
- HydraBacial – This is a deep cleanse which removes dead skin cells and deeply cleans the back, followed by the infusion of antioxidants and a stimulating massage to revive the muscles.